Woman who filed Hockey Canada lawsuit says through attorney she wants to ‘set the record straight’

The woman who said she was sexually assaulted after a Hockey Canada gala in 2018 presented a timeline of her interactions with London police on Tuesday in an effort to “set the record straight,” refuting earlier reports, and a statement from Hockey Canada , which she claimed had not cooperated with local officials, according to a statement issued by her attorney.

In the statement, which was sent to Sportsnet, Robert Talach wrote that the woman complied with requests “to take part in Hockey Canada’s reopened internal review and a renewed London Police investigation.” In addition to providing “a full written statement” to Hockey Canada and the NHL last month, he also continued to cooperate with London police and voluntarily submitted to a polygraph examination arranged by Talach’s office, the results of which returned a grade of ” truthful”. and were sent to the three investigating parties.

Talach said his client spoke to a detective at the London police station on the morning of June 22, 2018, and underwent a physical at a hospital later that day. She said she also turned in her night clothes as evidence and met with officers again on June 26, 2018, and August 31, 2018.

A statement from Hockey Canada initially indicated that the woman did not speak to police. Hockey Canada’s Tom Renney later corrected the statement during testimony on June 20, 2022, in front of the Canadian Heritage Standing Committee.

“She made it clear to London police on June 24, 2018 that she wanted criminal charges to be brought,” Talach wrote. On February 6, 2019, the woman was informed “that no charges would be filed.”

When contacted by Sportsnet, London Police said: “As this is now an active criminal investigation, we cannot discuss the matter further. Appropriate information will be shared once the investigation has been concluded.”

The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous and is referred to as EM in her lawsuit statement filed in April, spoke with Robyn Doolittle of the balloon and mail in a story posted Tuesday morning — the first time the public has heard of it directly from the media.

In the article, EM told Doolittle that since news of the allegations broke in May after the settlement of her civil lawsuit against Hockey Canada, CHL and eight unnamed players, she has felt “vulnerable and exposed.”

He told Doolittle that he never wanted to draw attention to the case and “just wanted consequences for actions and some responsibility.”

The article includes reporting that EM will not “show up for an interview with Hockey Canada or NHL investigators” but, according to Talach, “provided an eight-page statement with an additional five pages of photographs and 4 1/2 pages of text messages.” .”

“She has already filed civil proceedings and spoken to the police on several occasions,” Talach told Doolittle. “I mean, how many times does he have to do this?”

Last week, Danielle Robitaille of the law firm Henein Hutchison, hired by Hockey Canada in 2018 to carry out the organisation’s third-party investigation, told Parliament during a Hockey Canada hearing that she had obtained a statement from the woman and is equipped to move forward with the reopened investigation.

Survivor Support
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence and needs support, those in Canada can find province-specific centres, hotlines and services. here. For readers in the United States, a list of resources and references can be found here.

Talach’s statement reads, in its entirety, as follows:

“Within a day of her leaving the hotel room, the London Police Service was notified and was investigating. After initial enquiries, she spoke to a detective at the police station on the morning of June 22, 2018. That same day he underwent a physical at a hospital. He later handed over his evening clothes as evidence. On June 24, 2018, he made it clear to London police that he wanted criminal charges to be brought. He met again with officers on June 26, 2018, as well as August 31, 2018. After more than seven months since the incident, he was told no charges would be filed on February 6, 2019. Previous reports from the media reports that he did not approach or cooperate with the police were inaccurate.

“After a period of reflection, the matter proceeded through the formality of the civil justice system in the form of a lawsuit. That lawsuit began on April 20, 2022 and concluded on May 24, 2022.

“Despite having pursued criminal and civil legal cases, he was asked to participate in Hockey Canada’s reopened internal review and a renewed London Police investigation. He has complied with those requests. He provided a full written statement to Hockey Canada. Canada on July 21. 2022 and to the National Hockey League the following day. He continued to cooperate with the London Police. Most recently, he voluntarily submitted to a polygraph examination arranged by this office in connection with his statement regarding the incident. He passed successfully that “lie detector test” with a rating of “true.” The test result and report were provided to London Police, Hockey Canada review, and NHL investigators.

“This woman has fully engaged and cooperated with all legal and formal investigations into these events. We ask that her privacy continue to be respected and we thank the Canadian public for their concern.”

—with files from Sportsnet’s Paul D. Grant

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.