The first Vancouver Formula E race proposed for False Creek this summer has been cancelled.
One Stop Strategy (OSS), the Montreal-based promoters who organize Canadian E-Fest, said Friday that the three-day festival has been “postponed to 2023.”
“It was a decision made between the organizers and the city of Vancouver,” according to OSS Group. “The timeline and parameters for the event were not achievable.”
As of Friday afternoon, the event did not have a city permit.
In a statement, the City of Vancouver confirmed that OSS Group had “elected to exercise its rights under the Host City Agreement to postpone the Formula E event… to a future date.”
“The City and the OSS Group will continue to work together and look forward to announcing a new date in the near future.”
The long-weekend Canada Day festival, for which more than 30,000 entries had been sold online, organizers said, would include a live Nickelback concert, a business conference focused on climate change solutions, celebrity events and a Formula E electric car race.
“Arrangements will be made for those who purchased tickets,” the OSS Group said. “OSS and the city are still finalizing the process for the 2023 event.”
The event was billed as a “great asset to Vancouver” and its mission was to “accelerate the shift to sustainability” as part of Formula E’s all-electric series that hosts televised championship races in countries around the world.
When the city council discussed the prospect of E-Fest in April 2021, councilors and staff discussed the importance of ensuring that Vancouver was not financially compromised. Costs were to be “borne by the organizer, and all costs for city services would be recoverable from the organizer,” according to a Couns motion. Sarah Kirby-Yung and Michael Wiebe, which was approved.
The event was expected to generate an estimated economic benefit of $80 million for the city’s tourism and hospitality industry and 3,000 jobs.
“One of our primary missions is to work closely with the City of Vancouver and the residents of False Creek to ensure that this event is here to stay and that we leave a lasting legacy…whether it be charging stations, facility improvements or elements of great interest,” said Matthew Carter, CEO of OSS, when announcing the company last July.
Earlier this week, the council confirmed to Postmedia that it had received $350,000, the second installment of a security deposit from the OSS Group.
Organizers had a deadline of Thursday at 11:59 p.m. to provide additional items before an event permit would be issued, including proof of insurance, a safety plan, outdoor concert licenses and confirmation of agreements. privately owned. It was unclear Friday which ones were delivered.
Postmedia previously learned that a partner producing the business conference portion of the Canadian E-Fest event had abruptly pulled out, informing stakeholders in an email that “numerous issues” had made their participation “unsustainable.”
The business conference, called E-Volve, was billed as “a transformational business and innovation conference… where senior executives, global and local leaders and market influencers shape the future of electric mobility, the transportation and electrification.
OSS Group had said it was producing the conference in association with the Globe Series, a Toronto-based company responsible for major events, including the Globe Forum climate and sustainability conference in Vancouver.
But on Wednesday, a Globe Series representative emailed interested parties to let them know they were pulling out.
“As a values-driven organization where honesty, integrity and transparency are key to who we are, we want to let you know that we no longer support OSS Group (event producers) in putting on the E-Volve conference,” the statement read. email. , which was obtained by Postmedia.
“Numerous issues have made our participation in this initiative with OSS unsustainable, and as a result, we do not believe we will be able to produce a high-quality event or service our partners in the current time frame.”
The email stated: “Despite this setback, we strongly believe that the Canadian E-Fest and the FIA Formula E World Championship race are not only important steps on the road to net zero, but represent a huge opportunity for Vancouver, BC and Canada,” adding, “We would love to participate in the future Canadian E-Fest/Formula E race should it be delayed/postponed and new leaders established.”
A Globe spokesman confirmed to Postmedia that the email was genuine, but said he could not discuss the details of what led the company to retract.
In a statement on Wednesday, OSS Group said Formula E directors were in Vancouver all week to “understand the real situation with the different suppliers, as well as to meet with city officials and other stakeholders for the delivery of the Vancouver E Prix”.
“Formula E is the governing body for the Vancouver E-Prix only, not for the E-Volve event or other ancillary events included in the Canadian E-Fest, and is here to ensure a world-class motorsports event is delivered. to all who have and will purchase tickets to attend from Vancouver and internationally,” the statement said.
With files from John Mackie
More news, less ads: Our in-depth journalism is possible thanks to the support of our subscribers. For just $3.50 a week, you can get unlimited, ad-lite access to The Vancouver Sun, The Province, National Post, and 13 other Canadian news sites. Support us by subscribing today: the vancouver sun | The province.